Saturday, April 2, 2016

DIY Collage Planet

I did some collage work today, for the first time in such a long time, and it was so fun! And what started out as just playing with strips of paper and scissors become something that I actually really like! I thought it would be something abstract and oceanic, just some meditative cutting and gluing. But once I trimmed the edges and stood back it became a planet! It made me kind if miss my Fiddleheads For Fiona Etsy shop, because I think other people might like it too. So since I can't post this there, I'll post it here.
And since I won't be selling these guys, at least not anytime soon, I'll just tell you all how to make them instead. All it takes is a round base of some kind, a plain old glue stick, some paper, and some scissors. And if you have an exacto knife and a cutting mat that would probably help at the end, but scissors would probably work. For a base I used this, and I get decorative papers from here, but there are lots of sources.

Just choose some papers you like the look of together, cut them into strips, and glue them down in layers. Then trim around the edge of your circle with a knife or a pair of scissors to trim the papers that are hanging over.  If you do have the cutting mat, flip your planet face down and cut around your base. Otherwise, just do your best with scissors.
always forget, but really should always remember, that it is so creatively renewing and restorative to work in another medium for a change. As I sat staring vacantly at my Instagram feed in the middle of the day, for the millionth time, I realized that I desperately needed to put my phone down and do something before my brain turned to mush! And I'm so glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment